Every year, there are millions of car accidents across the nation. While some of these accidents are due to forces beyond everyone’s control, more often than not, human factors are to blame. From driving mistakes to faulty brakes, the vast majority of car accidents could be avoided if only people exercised a little bit more care.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a car accident in the Chicago area, it is important to make sure that the responsible parties are held accountable for your losses. From future medical expenses to chronic emotional trauma, these losses could impact your life for years, if not decades, to come. If you do nothing – or if you let the insurance companies determine your rights – you will not receive just compensation, and you will be forced to shoulder the financial and emotional burden of someone else’s wrongdoing.
Chicago Car Accident Lawyers Who Fight for Maximum Compensation
At Jackowiak Law Offices, we do not want this to happen to you. We understand the devastating and long-term impacts of traumatic car accidents, and we believe in securing justice for those who have suffered due to others careless mistakes. In Illinois, the law governing car accidents is clear: If someone else is to blame for your injuries or your loved one’s death, you are entitled to financial compensation for your accident-related losses. This includes not only financial losses such as medical expenses and lost income, but pain and suffering, scarring and disfigurement, loss of support and companionship, and other non-financial losses as well.
Isn’t this why we have auto insurance? Yes and no. While it is true that auto insurance provides a crucial source of compensation for car accident victims, it is also true that the insurance companies don’t like to pay – even when it is clear that payment is owed. In a typical case, the insurance companies will point fingers at one another, delay payment, offer low-ball settlements and use a variety of other tactics to pay as little as possible. If you do not aggressively pursue your right to compensation, you will lose out, and you will feel the pain of the accident long after you were supposed to have collected just compensation.
Car Accident Cases We Handle
All of our car accident lawyers have extensive experience in car accident insurance settlements and litigation. When we represent a client, we do so with the singular goal of securing maximum compensation as quickly as possible. We know this is what you want, and we believe this is what you deserve. We have successfully represented clients throughout the Chicago area who have been injured and lost loved ones in car accidents involving:
- Distracted driving (including eating and drinking, texting, using social media, and other forms of handheld and hands-free cell phone use)
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Drowsy driving, fatigued driving and falling asleep behind the wheel
- Merging and lane changing errors (including blind spot accidents)
- Running red lights and stop signs (including turning on red and speeding up to “beat” a yellow light)
- Speeding, following too closely (tailgating) and other forms of reckless driving
- Various other forms of driver negligence
- Vehicle defects, inadequate vehicle maintenance, and faulty vehicle repairs
Chicago Car Accident FAQs
Q: What if I do not know who was at fault in the accident?
If you do not know who was at fault in the accident, that’s okay. In fact, when you contact us, we do not expect you to know exactly what happened. Establishing fault in a car accident requires a thorough legal analysis, and the only way for you to know who was to blame is to hire an experienced attorney.
Q: If the police prepared an accident report, is this all I need to prove my claim?
No, and this is an all-too-common assumption that you need to avoid. While the accident report may serve as one piece of evidence in your case, it is critical that you hire a law firm to conduct a comprehensive investigation as soon as possible. When we investigate car accidents, some of the types of evidence we typically seek to collect include:
- Skid mark data
- Information about weather and road conditions, signage, and other critical factors
- Photos from the scene of the accident
- Engineering reports assessing the damage to each of the vehicles
- Witness statements
- Phone records
- Maintenance records
- Repair bills
- Employment records showing loss of income and benefits
- Medical records
Q: How can I make sure I am not jeopardizing my financial recovery?
We are glad you are asking this question. Too often, accident victims unknowingly make mistakes that jeopardize their claims. With the insurance companies’ profits-first approach to car accident claims, they will look for any excuse to deny your claim, and they are only too happy to use your own mistakes against you.
When you sit down for your free initial consultation, one of our attorneys will walk you through all of the mistakes you need to avoid. We will also help you by:
- Dealing directly with the insurance companies on your behalf;
- Consulting with physicians and other medical experts to determine the full extent of your injuries and the need for ongoing and future medical treatment;
- Obtaining additional medical opinions if your current treatment or therapy is not working;
- Working with your medical providers and other creditors should you be unable to work and fall behind in your bills; and,
- Filing a worker’s compensation claim if your accident occurred while you were on the job.
Q: It has been weeks (or months) since the accident. Is it too late to hire an attorney?
No, but we urge you to contact us as soon as possible. You do not want to wait any longer than necessary; and, the sooner you contact us, the sooner we can get to work fighting for just compensation.
Speak with a Chicago Car Accident Lawyer for Free
To learn more about how we can help you secure just compensation after a car accident in Chicago, please contact us to arrange your free, no-obligation consultation. You can reach us 24/7, so call (312) 795-9595 or request an appointment online now.